As consumers become more aware of the worsening climate change that the world is facing, they are clamouring for major multinational corporations for sustainable practices. One practice that needs to change is using plastics as packaging and implementing a biodegradable packaging program.
Is There a Plastic Problem? Since the invention of plastics, it has been the most commonly used packaging material for many reasons. Plastic is very durable, tough, and is easy to manufacture. However, the use of plastics comes with several environmental consequences. Plastics take a very long time to decompose. It is estimated that plastics that end up in landfills may take up to a thousand years to break down. Recent statistics have shown that an average Australian will use about 130 kilograms of plastic packaging each year, where ninety percent of these plastics will end up in landfills.
What are Alternative Forms of Packaging Materials? Some corporations have come up with alternative packaging materials by using containers made of tin and aluminum. These containers reduced plastic packaging issues since you can recycle containers for other purposes in your homes. However, when these containers are used for food-based products, they will still require a plastic film to seal in the products’ freshness. Fortunately, a lot of businesses are switching to biodegradable packaging.
What is Biodegradable Packaging? Biodegradable packaging is made from organic-based polymers known as biopolymers, which can be extracted from plants such as corn or animal-sources such as cellulose and proteins. Since biopolymers are organic, they can be consumed safely and can break down easily.
Businesses use biopolymers to create packaging such as containers with lids, bags, and biodegradable films for wrapping and sealing perishable food items. Biodegradable materials have similar properties as plastic, such as being breathable, flexible, durable, and water-resistant.
Why do You Need to Buy Products with Biodegradable Packaging? As consumers, you can save the environment by choosing products packed in biopolymers rather than plastic. Here are some of the benefits that you will get from buying biodegradable packaging.
- Reduce Your Carbon Footprint. Big companies are not the only ones that need to reduce their carbon footprint. You can reduce your carbon footprint by buying products that have biodegradable packaging.
- You are Helping the Environment. You can help the environment by creating a compost pit in your yard where you can dispose of biodegradable materials. Your compost pit must have all the right conditions for biopolymers to decompose.
- Cost-Effective. While plastic is much cheaper, you can recycle biodegradable packaging for other uses in your home. Likewise, you can reuse most packaging materials making you save more money in the long run.
- Guilt-Free. When you purchase biodegradable or “green” packaging, you will not feel guilty when you throw this packaging away after using them. They will easily decompose and will not harm the environment, unlike their plastic counterparts.
- Join the Initiative. Major corporations are already joining the movement of eliminating the use of single-use plastics by the year 2025. You can join the initiative by supporting and purchasing from these corporations. Better yet, ask your neighbors, friends, and relatives to join you in your initiative.
By purchasing biodegradable packaging, you are helping reduce the use of petroleum-based plastics, which takes a long time to break down. Do your part, buy products that use biodegradable packaging.
Author name:- Nora George